Saturday, December 18, 2010

Response to Shiyun

"Does our image really matter that much in our lives? I think that we are too focused in our appearances rather than our who we really are. I started to realize that most of us care about being liked by others around us or wants to be praised for their looks."
I got this from Shiyun's post.
     I've written a few blogs about image and it's affects on society. From a society standpoint, beauty is a way to advertise. The beauty industry itself is huge simply because of the drive to become pretty and beautiful. From a society point of view, the craving for image and for perfection in looks helps the economy.
     From a social standpoint, perfection in image is very needed. If you aren't beautiful or pretty, you are isolated, automatically labelled as "unpopular" or "uncool". What is this?? It's understandable that if someone wants to become more pretty, it's their own choice, but when people don't want to change themselves, it's their choice to accept themselves for who they are. You don't have the right to look down on someone who accepts themselves instead for spending all their time trying to look better. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean any offense to anyone who does pay attention to what they wear and those who put on make up or dyes their hair. The people I am criticizing are those who look down on others who don't care as much about the way the look or about their outer appearance because they are comfortable with who they are already.
     This brings a totally different and separate topic onto this: judging. But I'll do another post on that some other time. Back to image, I realized that judging people about their looks is completely wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment